I decided to open a ‘queued spam’ not knowing where that would take me. It took me to WAL – Mart store info site and the article ‘Christmas lights – Delicious lead lights a danger to children’- the summary is basically parents should educate the children not to put lights in their mouth, these lights do not fall under the lead guidelines for toys and other household goods. The lead limit in articles for children is 15 micrograms. Walmart results were 86.5 mgto 132 mg for surface lead. What an unusual link to my piece on fireproofing a gingerbread house !
The recommendations are:
Only adults should handle the lights.
Lights should be hung out of children’s reach
Follow instructions on the box
WASH HANDS AFTER USE
If Walmart lights are like K-Mart lights (basically the same conglomerate company) at least 2 adults and several children need to deal with the ritual of getting the Christmas lights up. It is a four step process, 1. Finding the box. 2. Untangling, finding the end. 3. Missing bulbs trying to find the odd one. 4. Give up. Buy new set. 5. Follow previous recommendations. 6. Consider solar.
What will I do? Well, I love candles, with their high risk, loss of decorations and much scrapping of wax off the floor. The biggest benefit of candles on a tree is it requires staying with the tree, as leaving the room is is tempting a major fire catastrophe. So the candle lighting becomes a special time of focus and quiet, doing christmas tasks in the presence of the lit tree.